Do you have a car security system? Do you know who to contact in an emergency situation in your car? If not, then it’s time to consider having a professional’s contact on your mobile or a security system installed.
There are several uses for having a car security system, including the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if something terrible happens, you are protected and will find out there’s a problem quickly.
However, sometimes people think they don’t need a security system. But did you know there are Slim Jim tools on the market that can break into those locks and damage your cars in seconds?
This blog post will explain a Slim Jim tool, why it isn’t the best idea for your security needs, and what professional locksmith services can do for you instead.
What is a Slim Jim Tool?
A Slim Jim tool is a long, thin piece of metal used to unlock cars. They are also known as lockout tools or lock picks.
They were used to unlock cars until the early 90s, but now with advanced locking systems, they have proven to be very damaging to the car’s security. Using them is like deliberately choosing to damage your vehicle and then getting into the hassle of fixing and spending extra money on repairs.
How Slim Jim Tools Work?
When getting into a locked car, a Slim Jim tool is one of the most popular options. But how do they work?
A Slim Jim tool fits into the space between the door and the window of a locked car. The tool then helps to push or pull on the locking mechanism, which opens the door.
Why Shouldn’t You Use Them?
A Slim Jim tool is probably not your best bet if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to break into a car. Here’s why:
- They’re Not Very Discreet
Slim Jims are big and bulky, and they’re not exactly subtle. This is not your tool if you’re trying to break into a car without attracting attention.
- They’re Not Always Effective
Slim Jims can be tricky to use, and they don’t always work, especially in the car models we have these days. If you’re trying to break into your car in an emergency, you might not have time to fiddle with a Slim Jim.
- They Can Damage Your Car
If misused, Slim Jims can damage your car’s door panels or window seals. This is not your tool if you’re trying to break into a vehicle without damaging it.
Why Should You Call a Locksmith?
There are many reasons why it’s useful to call a locksmith instead of trying to use a Slim Jim tool yourself;
- Locksmiths are trained professionals who use these tools correctly and safely. Also, they know whether or not they need to use these tools. Most advanced cars these days do not open locks with Slim Jim tools. Their advanced locking mechanism gets damaged by the use of Slim Jim tools.
- You can avoid wasting your money by calling a locksmith. If you damage your car door or lock while trying to use a Slim Jim, you may end up paying more to have it repaired than if you had just called a locksmith in the first place.
- You don’t need to carry these tools with you and experiment with lock unlocking in case of emergencies. If you’re locked out of your car and you don’t have a Slim Jim tool, a locksmith can usually get you back without damaging your vehicle.
- Let the experts do their magic. Let’s say you also have an old car (1992 and older) and a Slim Jim tool. It’s always best to call a locksmith if you’re unsure about how to use it or if you’re not comfortable using it.
To sum it up, Slim Jim tools are not as practical and helpful as they were some time back. Using them in case of emergencies can be the first thought we get, as we are habitual of using them for unlocking, but they cause more harm than good.
Contact Your Alabaster Locksmith for the fastest and most affordable locksmith services if you need unlocks, rekeying, or lock repairs.
Call at (205) 379-6476 and get in touch with our team.